I decided today that I need to practice what I teach. All of my students have goals whether they realize it or not. It might be to learn a piece or master a skill, but it’s still a goal. I like giving them small easy goals. Ones I know they can reach, and attain easily. So why don’t I do this for myself? No wonder I keep emotionally reacting to everything lately. Disappointing auditions, and not being picked for a new teaching job have been dragging me down this week. So, I want to turn it all around.
- My marathon training is going really awesome. I can totally see doing a 4 hour marathon. I want to do a 4 hour marathon. Eye on the prize!
- Audition #3 is in November. I want to make it to the 2nd round at the very least. This week I want to get all of the excerpts under my fingers, and start getting the details down.
- I’ve started journaling after each student’s lesson. I don’t like that my studio has shrunk to 6 students. If I can’t get anyone to observe me then I want to keep a log of what’s happening in each lesson so that I can go back and see what’s happening. Is the student making progress? Do I need to copy something for them? Do I need to make an adjustment?
- quiet time everyday. I need to stop all of the crazy running around I do, and take a few minutes to focus to remind myself what’s really important.
- clean. This seriously needs to happen or I’m going to go nuts. The laundry must get folded since it can’t do it itself.
I’m hoping this will help me step back, and see things better. Where do I want to go? Am I doing what I need to get there? I want to focus things so that things are more clear. No more emotional reacting!