Atlanta Half recap or running for turkey!!

Ah revenge is sweet!! Take that lake Merced!! and the great highway too!!

As you might have guess I had a pretty awesome run this morning :). But I’m getting ahead of myself. I got a really good night’s sleep Wednesday night, and jumped out of my bed when the alarm went off. It took me a minute to remember why I had set the thing for so early. Fortunately I had gotten everything ready the night before and all I had to do was eat my usually peanut butter and honey sandwich along with a shot of wheatgrass. Don’t ask me why. I had a wheatgrass shot on Wednesday and spent most of the morning bouncing off the walls, so I thought it might be a good thing to have before the race. I also decided to wear my Nike finishers necklace (it says run like a girl!!) for the race this morning partly as a reminder of what had happened, and partly to show it who was boss.

It was freezing when I walked outside. I decided to keep my jacket on for the first part of the race instead of checking it since I was just wearing my TNT singlet, arm warmers, and gloves. It turned out to be a really good decision! I got to see a bunch of my TNT friends before the race, which always makes me happy, and we headed over to the starting area to figure out our corrals. I was in the green corral (yay, my favorite color!!), which in normal language meant I was in corral 3 and got to start right at 7:00! My friend Sally and I started off together and only seperated for a few minutes when I had to go play mentor :). But that also meant that we found Andy who joined us for the rest of the race. Honestly, it was a blast!! it felt like we were the three amigos running down Peachtree Road, and getting dirty looks from the people we were passing as we ran happily down the street. I had originally thought of trying to run in 2:00 hours, but decided early in the week that it would be more enjoyable to just run for fun. Whatever happened would happen. I just wanted a nice enjoyable long run. Holly cow!! I’m still really happy about it (the Starbucks girl said I must be on a runner’s high if I was going to go home after running 13.1 and cook a turkey. Umm apparently she is right). We just ran and talked. We said high to other runners we knew, and ran into a couple of awesome TNT coaches. (seriously whoever the coach at mile 12 was you rock!!). We got cheered on by a couple of Nike teammates. And then the sprint downhill to the finish started. Um, yeah, so it wasn’t sprinting all downhill. There was a hill in there too. Kind of knocked the wind out of me, so I slowed for just a bit, and then the finish line appeared, and the next gear kicked in. Oh finish line, I think I love you!! 🙂 In the end it was an awesome run, and a new PR (2:11). Have I mentioned I’m still really happy about it :). My Mom and sister came out to cheer us on too! My sister made a couple of signs for me and had some fun with my camera:

Pretty awesome. I also like to run for pumpkin pie :).

All in all, I feel really great. I got tight, but nothing major bothered me. I’m ready to sign up for some more races now! Say something flat that might take place the first weekend in February in the capital city of Florida…

So, take that great highway & Lake Merced!! This girl is so ready to run more fabulous races!

The dogs really wanted a walk when I got home. They felt forgotten…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s